Results and Achievements
For 2019 our provisional A Level student progress score (known as Level 3 Value Added) is +0.27.
This is significantly above national average, indicating that our students averaged +0.27 grades higher per academic qualification compared to the national average.
High Storrs Sixth Form continues to be in top 25% of schools nationally based on students' A Level performance.
A*/A grades: 33.8%
A*-B grades: 59%
A*-C grades: 80.5%
A*-E grades: 99.6%
Our average grade is B-, compared to a city average of C+.
Last year our students went on to study a variety of subjects including Accounting and Finance, Acting, Art Foundation, Biology, Business Management, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Criminology, Dance, Economics, Film, History, Law, Maths, Medicine, Midwifery and Nursing, Music, Natural Sciences, Neuroscience, Physics, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Sports.
Last year’s students achieved outstanding results:
- 21 Students gained 3 or more A* or A grade A Levels
- 98.5% of all A Level entries were A* - E grade
- Four students secured a place at either Oxford or Cambridge
The Post 18 applications process is extensive and challenging, but we always make sure our students don’t go through it alone. Our Oxbridge programme supports and guides any students who aspire to study at these prestigious universities; we have visiting speakers, Open Day visits, tailored lunchtime sessions and specialist subject practice interviews.
We are very proud of the future destinations of our students. Most of them
achieve competitive university places, including degree courses at Oxford and Cambridge Universities. We are equally proud of the talented group of students who realise their aims and start Higher Apprenticeships or attend prestigious Performing Arts Schools.
We provide wide ranging, independent careers advice from Year 12 onwards, including tutorial lessons, specialist placements and focused support based on students’ intended career pathways. We value and support work experience, particularly in practical areas. All students are encouraged to use allocated times (usually Wednesday afternoons) to secure regular work experience placements.
High Storrs Alumni and local businesses are keen to support the careers development of our students. We regularly hold careers insight talks, open to all Sixth Formers, to provide increasing information about jobs and apprenticeships from established professionals.
OUR MOST RECENT OFSTED REPORT - NOVEMBER 2013
We are delighted that Ofsted judged our Sixth Form to be 'Outstanding'. This is the third inspection that has awarded this judgement to the Sixth Form.
The statements from the report that are relevant to the Sixth Form are as follows (The full report can be found here):
- "The Sixth Form is 'Outstanding' because teaching and outcomes for Sixth Form students are outstanding."
- "Students make outstanding progress in the school's inclusive Sixth Form. Attainment has improved over the last 3 years and in particular AS results are above national average."
- "Teaching in the Sixth Form is outstanding. Teachers provide high quality lessons and supportive tuition where additional assistance is required."
- "Behaviour is also outstanding. Students to whom the inspectors spoke were unanimously positive about Sixth Form life. Their thirst for knowledge is a strong factor in their rapid progress in lessons."
- "Leadership and management in the Sixth Form are outstanding. The Sixth Form offers an outstanding range of courses supplemented by highly effective partnerships with two other local providers."
- "The wide range of visits and external experiences contribute to students' rich extra-curricular experience in the Sixth Form."
The Sixth Form is 'Outstanding' because teaching and outcomes for Sixth Form students are outstanding.Ofsted 2013