Y11 Careers Guidance
Y11 students are invited to attend a Careers Interview between September and January. They will attend at least one of the types of interview below:
- An individual careers guidance interview lasting 30/40 minutes (parents are invited to attend)
- An individual careers discussion lasting 15 minutes
- A careers discussion with 4-6 other students
All students will have at least on of the above.
For those students receiving an individual interview, an Individual Development Plan will will be drawn up and given to the students to take home. Copies are given to the Form Tutor and Head of House. These will be reviewed as necessary.
Those students who intend to stay on into the Sixth Form for A Levels or similar level courses (either at High Storrs or another setting) will have a short individual careers discussion in November-January, or a careers discussion with 8-10 other students. Some of these students will also have a 30/40 minute interview, depending on individual needs.
Some students will have further contact arranged with Careers staff to check their plans, especially if they intend to leave High Storrs.
- UCAS is an online application system which is now being used by all Y11 students
- www.ucasprogress.com and is available to accept applications from Monday 27th November 2017
- The internal High Storrs UCAS Progress deadline is Monday 15th January 2018
- The website includes an online prospectus which enables students and parents/carers to view opportunities in Sixth Forms, colleges and work-based learning in and around Sheffield
- There is a search facility which students can use to find appropriate learning opportunities
- All applications are made through this single system, rather than completing separate application forms
- School will issue each student with a unique username and password to enable them to log on to the website and make online applications. These passwords are issued in late October/early November
- The website can be accessed from any internet enabled computer, so you will be able to view the Post-16 options available and parents/carers can support students with their choices and applications
Your Careers Staff are:
Mr M Fahidi - Careers Co-ordinator
Ms A Cooke - Careers Adviser, Sheffield Futures
Mrs S Dalby - Careers Administrative Support Assistant
There is a lunchtime clinic in the Careers Office (AL7, opposite Lyceum Office) on Mondays and Tuesdays with Ms Cooke.
The 24-hour confidential helpline is now in operation. The local information line is 0800 652 9900
You can request carers information during office hours, or leave a message at other times.
You can also access information for local job and apprenticeship opportunities for young people at www.sheffieldfutures.org.uk
Further support can be given in school or at the Sheffield Futures (Careers) in Sheffield city centre for Y11 students. There is a Careers Library on site on their ground floor. Details below.
You can speak to Ms Cooke in her drop in clinic right up until the UCAS Progress deadline.
Mr Fahidi is available in school, including the Hot Food Dining Room at lunchtimes.
Sheffield Futures: Star House, 43 Division Street. Sheffield. S1 4GE
Opening times: Mon-Thu 9.00am-5.00pm Fri 10.00am-4.30pm