As you will be aware, schools are preparing themselves for tough times in light of the expected budgets cuts ahead. One of the new ways in which we will receive funding is by a pot of money called the ‘Pupil Premium’. The Government is introducing this pupil premium from April 2011. For the financial year 2011-2012, every pupil “currently entitled” to a free school meal on census day (20th January 2011) will be allocated a flat rate lump sum of £430, with local authorities being required to pass on this funding directly to school delegated budgets.
If you believe you are eligible for this allowance, even if you do not wish your child to receive a free meal, we would encourage you to apply for Free School Meals to ensure that your child’s school receives this vital funding. Therefore, we urge all eligible families to apply as soon as possible.
- Look at the Sheffield City Council website to see if you are eligible to apply for Free School Meals http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/information-for-parentscarers/at-school/educationschoolmeals/freeschoolmeals
- If you are eligible and not already claiming free school meals, you will need to fill out an application form.
You can get an application form from:
- First Point
- Student Reception at the school
- Telephone the council’s Free School Meals Team – 0114 2735705 or 0114 2736401
- By e-mailing your address to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the application form from the council’s website at http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/information-for-parentscarers/at-school/educationschoolmeals/freeschoolmeals.